As the 12/13 season draws to a close it's a great opportunity to thank everyone for making it a great season and to look back over the highlights from the last 12 months.
- Brian Bennett received an EAPU Panel Award at the East Antrim Open
- Brian Bennett's mono print "Christine" was selected for inclusion in the NIPA entry in the Celtic Challenge 2012
- Karen McCrea, Melissa Gordon, Martin Lamb and Brian Bennett each had images selected for the Celtic Challenge
- Roger Eager's image came second in the Shorts Camera Club - My Titanic Belfast Competition
- Guest Speaker: Janine Walker
- Martin Lamb had an image selected for the Natural History section of the PAGB PDI competition
- Gareth O'Cathain received a Highley Commended in the 'Best black and white' category of the Belfast Zoo 2012 Photographic Competition
- In the NIPA Round 1 competition Stephen Wilson and Brian Maguire received NIPA stars, Brian also received the top Colour Print honours
- Club Trip: Scott Kelby 5th Annual Photowalk
- Vivienne Beck placed first in the PDI section of the Roy Finlay Memorial Natural History Competition
- Club Trip: Donegal
- Guest Speaker: Roy McKeown FRPS
- Guest Speaker: Glenn Norwood
- In the NIPA Novice Competition Gareth O'Cathain placed 1st in the Mono print section with "The Blacksmith", placed 2nd in the Colour print section with "Helen's Wool" and received a Commended for his PDI "Zimbabwe Danger".
Mel Boyle received a commended for his Mono Print "Indian Labourers".
- In the NIPA Round 3 competition Matthew Jeanes received a NIPA star
- Guest Speaker: Carrie Davenport
- The winners in our internal Architectural competition were; Colour Print - Donal McCann, Mono Print - Russell Birch and PDI - Brian Maguire
- Brian Maguire won our Donegal Trip competition
- In the NIPA Round 4 competition Brian Bennett and Barry Lau received NIPA stars
- The following members had images selected for the 2013 Annual NIPA Exhibition; Alan Lavery, Brian Bennett, Mel Boyle, Barry Lau, Stephen Wilson, Gerald Gribbon, Russell Birch, Matthew Jeanes, Suzi McBride and Nolan Duffy. Nolan achieved a PAGB silver medal, Mel received a PAGB Bronze Medal and Alan Lavery received two PAGB Ribbons
- Brian Maguire achieved his LRPS
- Martin Lamb was awarded with a Neil Marshall Medal in the Natural History section of the PAGB 2012 Inter-Federation competition.
- Guest Speaker: Ross McKelvey
- Gareth O'Cathain had one of his images displayed on the BBC News website
- Barry Lau reached the final of the Ballymena Rotary Club Young Artist of the Year 2013
- Guest Speaker: Paul Hanley
- In the NIPA Round 5 competition Saravanan Appukuttan received a NIPA star
- In the BPIC Photographer of the Year Round 1 competition Vivienne Beck was the Novice winner and Barry Lau won the Advanced category
- In the BPIC Photographer of the Year Round 3 competition Roger Eager was the Novice winner and Stephen Wilson won the Advanced category
- Roger Eager was named as the 12/13 BPIC Novice Photographer of the Year
- Dermott Sweeney was named as the 12/13 BPIC Advanced Photographer of the Year
- The season wrapped up with a lovely dinner
Last night was the end of season dinner, there was good company, pizza and beer aplenty. There were even a few prizes given out!
Just to confirm that, following the AGM on Thursday evening, the Club Officers for the remainder of this season and for the 2013/2014 season, are as follows:
- Chairman: Brian Maguire
- Vice-Chairman: Barry Lau
- Secretary: Helen Weir
- Treasurer: Matt Jeanes
- NIPA Rep: Mark Overell
Other Committee Members: Gerald Gribbon, Russell Birch, Paul McGivern
Barry will also be taking on the role of Beginners Liaison officer. Donal McCann, whilst he has stepped down from the Committee, has indicated he is willing to continue to act as mentor for those members seeking accreditation. Michael Byrne has taken on the role of Club Outings Organiser and Gareth O'Cathain has agreed to assist Mark in the NIPA Rep role.
Thanks to all those who attended the AGM and engaged in the lively discussion. Minutes of the AGM and Chairman's report from Barry are attached.
Details of how to renew membership online will soon be circulated - I would encourage all members who intend to rejoin to do so as soon as possible, as this will greatly assist us in planning for the new season.
Finally, a special word of thanks to Barry for his exceptional performance as Chairman over the past year, and for agreeing to stay on as vice-chairman this year, despite the imminent new addition to the Lau family!
I'm looking forward to another great year ahead for BPIC.
This month we held an internal competition just for fun.
Members were able to submit one colour print, one mono print and one PDI under the category of architecture.
All members who attended the judging night were given the opportunity to vote for their favourite as well as give feedback on the submitted images.
Here are the full results along with the top image from each category.
- Donal McCann
- Stephen Wilson
- Saravanan Appukuttan
- Russell Birch
- Donal McCann
- Gareth O'Cathain
- Brian Maguire
- Stephen Wilson
- Dermott Sweeney
The full gallery of winning images is here.
Coming up this week, we have two presentations from our very own members: "Shooting Kids" with Karen McCrea, followed by Donal McCann FRPS, "From Flickr to Fellow".
As members already know, Karen McCrea is a wedding/portrait photographer who has a special flair for children's photography.
Donal McCann has set himself up as one of Northern Ireland's greatest architectural photographers in a relatively short space of time.
It is much appreciated that both Karen and Donal are giving up their time and passing on their expertise to other club members, I for one am really looking forward to it.
22nd November saw the exciting conclusion to our mentoring competition started on the 1st November.
Beginners entering the competition were split into two teams and each team was assigned a mentor. Barry Lau ARPS and Donal McCann FRPS were the mentors for this competition.
During November the entrants worked closely with their mentors who guided them in bringing out the best in their images.
Images were entered into two categories, mono print and PDI's.
The top scoring mono prints was submitted by Mel Boyle, and the top scoring PDI was from Saravanan Appukuttan.
You can see a fuller gallery here.
This week in the club we have our "Panel Critique Night / Select Mentor for Beginner Competition". This will be a two part session to cater all beginners as well as anyone considering going for an accreditation.
Panel Critique Night - Please bring along 10/15 of your strongest images [on memory stick/CD or prints] and Donal McCann FRPS will go through these with you offering advise and guidance.
Select Mentor for Beginner Competition - The first of many fun BPIC competitions. We will split the group of beginners in two, one half being mentored by myself and the other half by Donal McCann. We will guide you through your images providing key feedback to improving the final image all in time for the beginners competition three weeks later.
This will also be the perfect opportunity for you to ask our advanced members advice on your images. If anyone would like feedback or critique on their work please bring along up to 5 prints or PDI's and we can talk through these and offer constructive ways on how to improve them.
Last night was the first proper session of the this season and we kicked things off with a packed session.
Karen McCrea gave a great presentation on the basics of photography. For those that are still struggling with the juggling act you might find this cheatsheet useful, it's a handy resource for your camera bag and was found here.
Donal McCann FRPS then gave a fascinating talk on distinction panels, specifically RPS and IPF distinctions. We were treated to a selection of club members who displayed and discussed their distinction panels;
- L Panels: Helen Weir LRPS & Melissa Gordon LIPF
- A Panel: Brian Bennett ARPS
Next up Jim Moreland FRPS FBIPP talked about the RPS and Fellowship panels.
Here is a handout detailing RPS assessment dates throughout 2012/2013.
The Committee would like to extend its thanks to everyone that helped to setup and clear away the room. As you can see, with such a large turnout that help is invaluable in ensuring that we kick off and finish in good time. There'll be plenty to do throughout the year and we'd ask that people pitch in as and when they can. Thank you.
Coming up on this Thursday's session we have a fantastic double header for our club members.
Beginners Liaison Officer, Karen McCrea will be covering the basics of photography.
Distinctions Officer, Donal McCann (and very special guests) will be providing information on the different routes for distinctions a photographer can explore.
It's going to be a packed night, but bring your cameras as we might get a chance to play with them.